Our monthly Competition News is aimed at providing all CAPA members and camera clubs with timely information relating to our competitions.
For this month, we have included information below under the following titles.
2018 Black & White Competition
As of this date, the Black & White competition now holds the record for the largest number of:
- entrants who submitted images in a CAPA competition – 186 (37 + 149); and
- submitted images for a CAPA competition – 789 (219 + 570).
Submitted images were grouped into six photographic genres with the associated totals
|Object Primary Focus||66||22||88|
Based on these totals, the following pie chart was created.
As the statistics have outlined above, the Black & White competition was extremely popular. Therefore, this competition will be included in the 2018 – 2019 competition cycle but will be revised as the Monochrome competition and will contain four genres:
- Individual/Groups (street photography is included)
- Architecture (inside/outside)
- Flowers/Plants (wild or cultivated)
Each genre will be judged separately. If this competition format is found to be popular then it will be used in our 2019-2020 competition cycle for other competitions.
2018 – Survey Sent Out To Camera Clubs
In January 2018, we sent out a survey to all camera clubs seeking ideas and comments to enhance CAPA.
Unfortunately, we received a very low response to this survey. However, the collective responses to one question did provide us an insight into which competitions are popular with camera clubs – as noted below.
We used these responses to assist us in determining what competitions to offer in our 2018 – 2019 competition cycle. In the near future, it maybe beneficial to send out a similar survey to all our CAPA individual members.
Altered Reality Competition Results
This competition closed on February 28, 2018 and the images submitted were as follows:
1 – Club category: 158 image from 28 clubs
2 – Individual category: 227 images from 60 CAPA members
The three judges for this competition were:
1 – Carol How – CAPA Judge (Crescent Beach Photography Club)
2 – Frank Pali – Certified CAPA Judge (Not a member of a camera club)
3 – Gilles Vezina – Certified CAPA Judge (R.A. Photo Club)
Many thanks to the judges for assisting in this competition.
This competition was hosted by CAPA.
Check out the winners of the competition as follows:
1 – Winners – Club – Altered Reality – CHECK OUT WEBPAGE HERE
2 – Winners – Individual – Altered Reality – CHECK OUT WEBPAGE HERE
All the entrants in this competition have received a copy of the final competition report. This report can be reviewed by logging into the CAPA website and selecting Competition Report from the Competition dropdown menu. If the Competition Report is not displayed, you are not logged into the website.
2018 – 2019 CAPA Competitions
In March, we sent out a message to all camera clubs seeking volunteers to host of one of our 2018 – 2019 (September 1, 2018 to June 1, 2019). Based on this request, the following competitions will be proceeding as of September 1, 2018:
- Nature – hosted by: Richmond Hill Camera Club – Closing Date: October 30, 2018
- Fine Art – hosted by: Derek Hayes & Friends – Closing Date: October 30, 2018
- Photo Journalism – hosted by: Hamilton Camera Club – Closing Date: November 23, 2018
- Altered Reality – hosted by: Lance Gitter – Closing Date: January 15, 2019
- Monochrome – hosted by: CAPA Director of Competitions – Closing Date: January 30, 2019
- Open Theme – hosted by: Toronto Digital Photographic Club – Closing Date: February 20, 2019
- A Photo Series Of 4 Photos – hosted by: Shuswap Photo Arts Club – February 20, 2019
- Audio Visual Presentation – hosted by: Toronto Camera Club – Closing Date: March 31, 2019
- Portraiture – hosted by: Prince George Photo Society (Selena Laing) – Closing Date: March 31, 2019
- Canada: My Country – hosted by: Director of Competitions – Closing Date: April 30, 2019
- 2019 Annual Photo Challenge (Open only to CAPA members) – hosted by: CAPA Director of Competitions – Closing Date: May 31, 2019
- International Four Nations Competition – hosted and coordinated by: CAPA Director of Competitions – Closing Date: July 1, 2019
- Wildlife- hosted by: – Closing Date:
- Open Print – hosted by: – Closing Date:
SPECIAL NOTE: We are still seeking a Competition Host for the Wildlife and Open Print competition. The Wildlife competition can be hosted as either a ‘live-judging‘ or a ‘remote-juding‘ competition. If you or your club is interested in hosting one of these competitions, please email the Director of Competitions at firstname.lastname@example.org
The competition details for the following 2018-2019 competitions are now posted on Current Competitions webpage:
- Fine Art
- Photo Journalism
- Altered Reality
- A Photo Series Of 4 Photos
- Open Theme
In the forthcoming weeks, the remaining 2018-2019 details will be posted. You will be able to upload your images to these competitions after September 1, 2018.
Four Nations Competitions
We have received some enquires about the international Four Nations competition and how images are selected by CAPA for this competition.
The participating organizations in this competition consist of:
- Australian Photographic Society
- Canadian Association For Photographic Art
- Photographic Society of New Zealand
- Photographic Society of South Africa
Each year, the hosting of this competition rotates through the participating photographic organizations. This year’s host is the Photographic Society of South Africa. In 2019, it will be CAPA’s turn to host this competition.
Noted competition consists of four categories and the corresponding number of images to be submitted each year:
- Open Theme – 35 images
- Nature – 15 images
- Monochrome – 15 images
- Our Country – 15 images
Each contributing organization must submit 80 images. All 80 images must be submitted by 80 different photographers. No previously submitted image can be re-submitted.
Each year, this competition closes on July 1st. After the closing date, all submitted images will be randomly sorted and judged by at least three individuals not residing or citizen of the four participating countries. These judges will be either PSA and/or FIAP certified judges.
For CAPA’s submission to this competition, the new process will be as follows:
- select the top 50-100 scoring images from each of our 2017 – 2018 competitions
- three independent Certified CAPA Judges will re-score all the selected images
- scores will be sorted from highest to lowest
- top images will selected for each of categories for the Four Nations competition
- seek permission to submit the image from the photographer
- submit our selected 80 images to the Four Nations’ Competition Host
- receive the competition results
- advise the photographers of results
- post the results on our website
- all future CAPA competition webpages will contain a note that the top 50 scored images in each competition will be considered for selection into the Four Nations competition
If you have any questions or concerns relating to this competition, please Sheldon Boles (Director of Competitions) at email@example.com
Forthcoming 2018 Competition
As a reminder, we have three forthcoming competitions in April and May: